Friday, May 21, 2010

In Nairobi for a bit...

So on my trip here (Nairobi) I stopped off in Amsterdam, and I looked deep inside. I have nothing against the Dutch, in fact, I quite enjoyed the airport. My friend and I had a great conversation about how God is still good even though bad things happen to us. I am still learning this, because I often blame God for things He didn't even do, which leads me to ignore the only one who can make a tragedy into a story of redemption.

Anyway, I arrived in Nairobi airport in the evening and was the 2nd person out of the door, because I showed up early at the airport allowing me to pick the seat right beside the door (which you guys should try to do as well). This meant I was the first person to get to the immigration table getting my visa for my short two day stay in Kenya. It was easier then checking out a book at UTSC's library! Then I was the first to get my bag and the first through customs. No hastle. Since this blog is about growth, I learned that it is a good idea to sit as close as you can to the door even though it might be annoying on the flight, because it comes in handy to be the first person to see each official.

So last night I slept amazing, with no dreams. Today I went to Java, and had a great breakfast, then saw baby elephants at the elephant nursery. Then we went out and saw the BCC orphanage on the outskirts of Nairobi. It is incredible, it is truly impacting lives, and its really cool because the kitchen is partially powered by biofuels (cow dung). Really Really amazing stuff!!

As amazing as the biofeul-run-kitchen is, there are more incredible things. These things are called people. Now, people are generally found on planet earth, although, occasionally one will escape to jump around on the moon. You laughed, I know you did, but you should stop because the next part is not funny.

The following people are amazing. 'J' is amazing because although he lost his wife just over a year ago he thanks God that she Knew and Loved God. He does not blame God for her death he thanks Him for the relationship she had with God. 'E' is amazing because although he is already supporting his 5 brothers and sisters, he told me that he would be happy to help just one person in his life. So he prays to God that He will put him in a position to help others. 'E' does not complain about his responsibility to support his family of 7 in all, but prays that he can help more. 'R' is amazing because although she has been bed-ridden for six weeks with a shattered leg and hip she thanks God that she has a sound mind. She was the only one to survive a matatu crash. She does not complain for what she has lost, she thanks God for what she has. There are many more stories, even more traumatic then these, but I cannot describe those for my writing would not do them justice.

In closing, I would like to acknowledge that I know, many of you may not like all this talk of God. There are many reasons for this, mostly though, it makes you uncomfortable. I do not aim to make you uncomfortable, but I cannot neglect to write about the deeper things of life.

It seems I have already seen tragic stories turned into stories of redemption. I have learned, though, that this redemption is much deeper then I had first thought.

I leave you with this thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment